Today’s Encouragement is to inspire you to have the courage to love yourself enough to set up healthy boundaries.
Boundaries are not always negative conditions placed upon someone, but can be helpful and inspiring as well.
In order to maintain your strength and your mental stability, it is crucial you take some time to take care of yourself.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself to determine if you have the appropriate boundaries set in place.
- Do you focus on others to the point you are too exhausted to do anything for yourself?
- Do you want to exercise, but have occupied your time with others to the point there is no time in your day to do this for yourself?
- Do you spend so much of your time accommodating the emotional needs of others, that you have learned to dismiss your own emotional needs?
- Do you remember when the last time you watched “your” favorite tv show or read “your” favorite book? Mom’s, children’s books do not count (said with smiles).
- Do you even have a favorite tv show a favorite author any more?
- Do you have favorite music you like and if so, when was the last time you listened to it?
These are just a few questions to ask yourself. I am sure if you took the time to think about what you love and what you like, you would be surprised what you have learned to sacrifice for the sake of taking care of the other people in your life.
However, My Friend, it is crucial for you to think about, “Where do “you” fit into your day?”
Think about this for a minute, there is a reason why when you fly on an air plane and the flight attendant tells you to place your oxygen mask on before helping anyone else.
You can not properly take care of others if you don’t take care of yourself first.
Today’s challenge is to take the time at some point to make a conscious effort to do something you like without worry or concern someone will be upset with you.
Take the time to do something “you” enjoy.
When you do, I promise you will feel refreshed and rejuvenated to continue to do what you do for the other people in your life.
Everyone, including you, needs time to rest and regroup. It is time to learn how to set up those healthy boundaries allowing yourself the time to just rest and breathe again.
Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves, even when we risk disappointing others. – Brene Brown